This page captures my work in grad school (and the tail end of undergrad).
Consus: Taming The Paxi.In CoRR, abs/1612.03457, 2016.
The Design And Implementation Of The Warp Transactional Filesystem.In Proceedings of the Symposium on Networked System Design and Implementation, Santa Clara, California, March 2016.
Weaver: A High-Performance, Transactional Graph Database Based On Refinable Timestamps.In Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, 9(11):852-863, 2016.
Warp: Lightweight Multi-Key Transactions For Key-Value Stores.In CoRR, abs/1509.07815, 2015.
Tiered Replication: A Cost-Effective Alternative To Full Cluster Geo-Replication.In Proceedings of the USENIX Annual Technical Conference, Santa Clara, California, July 2015.
Kronos: The Design And Implementation Of An Event Ordering Service.In Proceedings of the European Conference on Computer Systems, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, April 2014.
HyperDex: A Distributed, Searchable Key-Value Store.In Proceedings of the SIGCOMM Conference, Helsinki, Finland, August 2012.
An Introduction To HyperDex And The Brave New World Of High Performance, Scalable, Consistent, Fault-Tolerant Data Stores.In ;login:, 3(37):39—49, 2012.
Measuring Behavioral Trust In Social Networks.In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Intelligence and Security Informatics, Vancouver, Canada, May 2010.
- Reviewed papers for NSDI 2017
- Reviewed papers for OSDI 2014
- Reviewed papers for NSDI 2013
- Reviewed papers for OSDI 2012
- Reviewed papers for SIGCOMM 2012
- Reviewed papers for EuroSys 2012
- Reviewed papers for NSDI 2012
Geo-Replicated Transactions in 1.5RTTStrangeLoop 2017.St. Louis, Missouri, September 2017.
Geo-Replicated Transaction Commit in 3 Message DelaysInvited Talk, VMware.Palo Alto, California, June 2017.
The Design and Implementation of the Warp Transactional FilesystemNSDI.Santa Clara, California, March 2016.
Kronos: The Design and Implementation of an Event Ordering Service.EuroSys.Amsterdam, The Netherlands, April 2014.
HyperDex: A Distributed, Searchable Key-Value Store.ACM SIGCOMM Conference.Helsinki, Finland, August 2012.
Honors and Awards
- Facebook Graduate Fellowship Facebook 2014-2015
- VMWare Graduate Fellowship VMWare 2012-2013
- OSDI Student Travel Grant USENIX Oct, 2012
- SOSP Student Travel Grant ACM Oct, 2011
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Cornell University Fall, 2011
- Yahoo! Ph.D. Teaching Award Cornell University Fall, 2010
- Paul McGloin Outstanding Senior Award Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute May, 2010
- Dr. Robert P. Ingalls Award Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute May, 2010
- Rensselaer Founders Award Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute October, 2009
- Member of Upsilon Pi Epsilon, Computer Science Honors Society Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 2008 — 2010
These selected patents pertain to my grad school research.
Managing dependencies between operations in a distributed systemRobert Escriva, Emin Gun Sirer, Bernard WongUS20150172412 A1 application by Cornell University
System and methods for mapping and searching objects in multidimensional spaceEmin Gun Sirer, Nicole L. Caruso, Bernard Wong, Robert EscrivaUS9317536 B2 assigned to Cornell University
These select projects were part of my grad school research.
- HyperDex: HyperDex is a new distributed key-value store that offers high performance, a rich API, and strong consistency and fault-tolerance guarantees.
- libmacaroons: Macaroons are bearer tokens that can be constricted with caveats. Based on the publication from Google.
- Replicant: Replicant is a replicated state machine hosting service. Users write code that looks like single-threaded RPCs and Replicant uses Paxos to maintain multiple copies of the code in parallel.
- minion: The meta-build system originally developed for HyperDex.
- treadstone: A JSON manipulation library that provides a conversion to binary format.
- CrossTeX: CrossTeX is a new bibliography management tool developed by Gün and his students. It comprises a new bibliographic database format that is much less prone to error and much easier to manage compared to other alternatives like BibTeX, and a new, more flexible tool for creating the citations that appear at the end of scholarly texts. The linked code is my fork of CrossTeX that periodically may diverge from the upstream CrossTeX. Forked from egs.